Monday 26 May 2008

Nintendo’s got everyone talking “hardcore”

In the gaming world we often hear the term “hardcore” thrown around as if there exists a defined meaning. Truth is, there isn’t one. Why? Probably because the meaning of the term varies from gamer to gamer; if ever one person tries to define it, someone else will dispute it.

The popular Joystiq blog regularly invites gamers to discuss (or argue) the topic again and again and here’s the type of response you get from the gaming community...

“my girlfriend is a casual gamer, as in she hates the games I play, but holy crap did she ever play sims2”

“most "hardcore" games have very clear goals, but they don't capture many types of gamers”

“I have a sneaking suspicion that many of these casual gamers may actually be just regular old gamers who tend to play at casual sites either at work, while surfing the web or as a break from more "hardcore" gaming.”

“Casual games are the most interesting thing going on in video games right now. It's there that you'll find the most creative and diverse gameplay scenarios and mechanics.”

“I think the secret to getting games to appeal to casual gamers is that the basic concept needs to be simple.”

“A lot of casual gamers play games on their cell phones... a very low cost platform.”
It’s not until recently that people have been getting so worked up about the word “hardcore”. The introduction of the DS and the Wii, coupled together with a heavy push to attract the “casual gamer” certainly ruffled a few feathers in the gaming community and got everyone talking.
Yes, Nintendo attempted to expand the market and have been successful in doing that, but I don’t think creating such a clear distinction between the “casual gamer” and the “hardcore gamer” was a part of their plan.

I personally dislike the distinction. Why? Because the DS and Wii were introduced to create possibilities, encourage a different way of thinking; not box gamers into categories.

I’ll illustrate the confusion…
I absolutely love Metroid Prime 3, so I’m hardcore right? But I love Animal Crossing too so I’m definitely a casual gamer? But then why do I love Metroid Prime if I’m a casual gamer? I know… maybe I should play Animal Crossing with the intent of blowing the animal’s faces off. That’d be hardcore right?
(if you answered “yes” to that question this article has gone completely over your head!)

The term “hardcore” maybe had a place some years ago when every gamer wanted to be part of a special little club, where you only gained entry if you knew the required button-combination to access turbo mode in Street Fighter, but those times have changed. Now my girlfriend can be a gamer if she wants, so can my mum for all I care; it doesn’t matter.
I don’t want to hear a reviewer tell me a game is hardcore because it holds no defined meaning. I’d much rather be told the details of a game and I will come to a decision on whether or not it is for me. That is the way it should be.

What am I then?
I’m just a “gamer”; someone that plays games. I’d rather not be boxed thanks.

No comments: